Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Shannon's Story from New Hampshire

My name is Shannon. I am a 28 year-old living with breast cancer. The long and short of it is that I was diagnosed on 8/31/06, and I underwent many surgeries after finding out I had the gene mutation for breast cancer.

We thought I'd be cancer free- I had some chest pain after my last reconstructive surgery 5/01/07 - which shed light on the fact that breast cancer had made its way to my lungs. I am going to Boston in two weeks to talk to them about a new chemo regiment. I am so VERY anxious to get it going!

I have continued to be strong and positive and found it most important to LAUGH! I am a firm believer in positive thinking and that laughter can be the best medicine!

My story is in GREAT detail on www.breastcancerstories.com/Under 30/Shannon, I encourage any and all to read. It has been a great site for me to release... but to also keep friends, family, doctors, nurses, co-workers and customers- up to date on my progress. People have told me its made them cry... and made them laugh...I prefer the latter!

I have been through so much in the past not even a year, and have been told I've touched so many people, though THEY are the ones that have touched me with their thoughts, prayers, hugs and smiles. I am strong for not only me- but for them and my most wonderful husband Todd.

I too will continue to spread awareness to help with prevention, support and most of all- to let people know that this isn't the end! Last October- one month after my diagnosis and five days after my first chemo treatment- I comprised a team of over 30 for the Making Strides for Breast Cancer walk in Nashua NH. Our team raised over $3,600 in the short period of time. I could not have been more proud! I wasn't able to walk, but my husband pushed me in a wheel chair. This year I will walk it strong, and we will raise even more - for a cause that I hold so dear to me! Again, thank you for this opportunity!!

Milford, New Hampshire

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

Hi Sweets!!!

You're such an inspiration to everyone around you. You possess so much strength, love, and compassion. You've changed me and made me into an even stronger human-being. You radiate. You motivate. You me make me laugh! You make me hopeful.

I love you with all my hear and soul!!

Kisses!

-Chrissy :)

Unknown said...

Hey Little Girl!

You just continue to amaze me in everything you do! You and Todd are one heck of a team and together I know in this latest fight you will come out the victor!
Keep strong, but pull from those who love you when you feel weak knowing there are many people out there that do! I'm one of them!!!
Big, Big hugs!!!

Hilda

Joeby said...

Hi Shannon,

I can't believe it has been a year! Congratulations! You have come so far, an I know in my heart that it won’t be much longer now:)!

I am so glad to have met you, Todd and your family. You truly are great people and have made a huge impression on many, including myself.

I can't wait to get our walk on;)
You gotta strut like to mean it,
Free your mind,
it’s not enough just to dream it,
come on, come on, come on yeah
-- The Cheeta Girls:)

Love, Joeb

Anonymous said...

Key Punkin!
It's been a year now since you've left us for that better place. we all miss you terribly! You were and always will be such an inspiration for us all.

Love you
Mom