Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Lisa's Story from Ohio

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy. I was fully aware of how important it was to get annual mammograms because of my family history, and because I am a nurse. I found my lump by accident and it had been one year since my last mammogram.

I tried to convince myself that it was really an imaginary lump. I went in for my biopsy, and I thank God that I had a friend with me. My husband was away that week, and would not be back in town until that evening. Initially my head just spun and I was in tears when I was told the diagnosis. I could not believe it. However, the doctors and staff and my husband and friends have been incredibly supportive and I am so lucky. Although I am going through chemo and some days it is not easy, I am doing well overall.

If I am awarded the prize of $10,000, I do not want to keep it. I would like to have it donated to a non-profit women’s health foundation I started a few years ago. Although I work all day in a hospital, I spend my free time as the volunteer Executive Director of The Women’s Sexual Health Foundation (www.TWSHF.org). The Foundation’s mission is to educate women and healthcare providers on medical conditions that may impact a woman’s sexual well being, health and intimacy.

Since my diagnosis, I have personally come face to face with the fact that women with breast cancer may be able to obtain good medical care for their condition, but chemo and all of the subsequent medications, along with the surgery can impact a woman’s intimacy with her husband. Women hesitate raising this issue with their doctors and doctors often do not address these concerns. The money would be used to further educate women and healthcare providers on a topic that is a health issue and women desperately want help with. The e-mails we receive from women express devastation and a loss that only they can describe. It is a deep sadness, and as one woman has stated, it was as if she had a hole in her heart. Her sadness was that great. I believe no woman should ever have to suffer such a loss. With the award we can be minimize this sadness and patch the hole in their hearts.

Cincinnati, Ohio

No comments: