Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Bert's Story from North Carolina

I just turned 41 a few days ago. I lost my Mom on February 22, 2007 after a long fight with breast cancer. My mom was diagnosed at age 73, she had a mastectomy and then a recurrence 8 months later and after 2+ years of chemo she lost her battle with breast cancer. She left behind a multitude of family and friends who loved her dearly. I am writing to tell you the story of a dear niece she left behind.

Vertrice, Bert, is a very caring 50 year old woman. She loved my mom dearly. She and her kids and grandkids referred to her as Nanny. Bert is a single Mom of three. Two of her children are adults but her baby, Sarah, is 14 and has cerebral palsy. Sarah is high functioning but will probably never be self supportive or be able to live entirely on her own. Bert cared for my Mom endlessly. She moved into my Mom's neighborhood, cooked meals and cleaned for her during her illness. She visited every day and was never too tired to step in and do whatever needed to be done.

Two weeks before my mom passed, Bert found a lump in her breast. She immediately went to the doctor, had a mammogram and soon found herself in the hospital recovering from a mastectomy. The reports are good, but she needs to go through extensive chemotherapy. She is keeping a positive attitude, does not ask for help but she is in need. She works as a cafeteria manager at a local middle school and is out of work for 3 months during the summer. She usually saves to cover her expenses during this time.

Unfortunately, this year she got the cancer and this has taken all of her money. She has health insurance but the co-pays for visits and prescriptions are costly. She lives every day to the fullest and does not ask for anything but I know she and Sarah are suffering.

Sarah is a typical teenager, she tries to be understanding but it is hard for her to understand why they do not have money to do things or why her Mom may not even have the energy to go to McDonalds, much less take a vacation. I will end this letter now but this is a story of a working American, who has no extra, but is just above the level to seek public assistance. Even though Bert's doctors are optimistic I know that my Mom's situation is always on her mind. To be told that you are totally cancer free and then to die within three years from cancer is not real reassuring. I know her worries are not for herself but for her daughter, Sarah, who needs her to be healthy to care for her.

Raeford, North Carolina

No comments: