Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Kellie's Story from Utah

I found a lump in my left breast during a self-exam last January. My doctor sent me for a mammogram, and because the mammogram wasn't conclusive, I also had an ultrasound. The radiologist reported the lump to be a cyst. I received a letter reporting that everything seemed normal, but advised further follow-up. Both my doctor and the surgeon felt it was just a cyst. Because of the size, I opted for a surgical biopsy to make sure. I had the biopsy on a Friday and on Monday I found out that I had cancer.

At the end of March, two days before my 35th birthday, I had a mastectomy on my left breast. I had no known risk factors. Thanks to the support of my family, especially my husband and mom, neighbors, friends, and co-workers, I recovered quickly and returned to work two weeks later. I needed to get back to my classroom (I was a preschool special education teacher) and tie up loose ends before taking the rest of the school year off to start chemo treatments.

While waiting to start chemo, the troops were rallied. Car pooling was planned for my school aged son, and his teachers at school were notified. My infant son's care was also carefully coordinated until the time my mom would essentially move in and take care of him and our home.

My cancer was diagnosed as Stage II, Grade 3, Hormone positive and Her2Neu negative. My oncologist informed me that I had the garden variety breast cancer, which is what you want when it comes to medicine, garden variety. He said that he would be surprised at a recurrence and his prognosis was cure. What a relief, not totally, but a relief none the less. Recurrance is not an option for me. I have two young sons who need me, though I need them too. I need them to keep me living.

My seven-year-old was born premature due to my cord prolapsing. He was life-lighted to Primary Children's where he lived for the first three weeks of his life. He is diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy and has made major physical gains over the years. My 15-month-old was also born premature, and also spent time at Primary’s, just a week though. He has Downs Syndrome, but is without many of the health conditions that affect these kids. He does have some minor heart complications that are being monitored by the cardiology department at Primary’s.

I'm writing this on the eve of my last chemo treatment. Tomorrow I will be having my eighth and final treatment. Though it's been a long summer and I have lost my left breast, my hair, lots of sleep, my appetite, my sense of taste, gained a higher sense of smell, endured many different side effects including depression and insomnia, not to mention general aches and pains, I have shed more tears of joy than of sorrow. I have an amazing support group, and I attribute that mostly to the love everyone has for my special boys. My husband is amazing, my mom is an angel, I am so fortunate.

I will be returning to work Monday when the new school year starts in a new position as a 7th grade health teacher. It will be my 13th year as an educator. My son will start 2nd grade; he's so excited. My mom will be hanging around for a few more weeks while I transition back into life. I will hopefully be having a consultation on reconstructive surgery within the next couple of months. I would like to get all of the medical procedures behind me. So, that's my story. For more of my story you can go to my "blog" at http://www.blogger.com/www.caringbridge.org then visit me by typing in Kellie May.

Murray, Utah

No comments: