Thursday, August 23, 2007

Nettye's Story from Tennessee

This story is about my mother, Nettye. She was diagnosed with breast cancer on March 9, 2007. On March 22, she underwent a simple mastectomy of the left breast, and they took lymph nodes to test as well. She came through the surgery just fine and fortunately her lymph nodes were negative for cancer. She chose not to take chemo treatments for various reasons. She turned 70 years old on June 1.

But, this story is not just about my mother because on January 8, 2006, my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma of the right lung and stomach. He was 70 at the time. He had no choice but to undergo chemo treatments since his cancer was so advanced.

My mother was his caretaker from day one. They have been married 54 years today, July 26. Dad has multiple medical conditions so the chemo was difficult. Mother prayed for him, took care of him, tried to get him to eat when he didn't want to, encouraged him, etc. In July of 2006 dad was found to be cancer free. Both of my parents have been touched by this horrible disease. For all we know mom's battle may not be over as the cancer could return. She has much faith in God, and is leaving it in His hands. My parents are very special people and I am blessed to still have them both in my life.

Henderson, Tennessee

No comments: