Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Wendy's Story from Maine

My name is Wendy, and I was diagnosed with breast cancer December of 2003. I started http://www.breastcancerstories.com/wmccoole so I could share my journey with friends and family and not bombard them with email updates all the time.

It all began when I found a lump just two weeks after a self-breast exam and just five days after my OBGYN check-up. Bizzare. My doctor suggested I wait a few weeks to see if it went away after my menstrual cycle, but it didn't. On Tuesday 12/2 I had an ultrasound, on Friday, 12/5 they said it was "suspicious" but likely benign, on Monday 12/8 I saw a surgeon and on Wednesday 12/10 I was in surgery to have the lump removed. That Friday they called to tell me it was cancer - ductal carcinoma, the most common kind - and the following Tuesday I was back in surgery to do a complete lumpectomy. I was absolutely wiped.

Because my Mom had BC three times and her sister had it once, they suggested I test for the cancer gene. Talk about anxious waiting! After just over a week we got the results back and I do NOT carry the gene (THANK GOD) so we started to prepare for treatments. Part of my testing showed I was positive for the HER2 protein, meaning my cells grow quickly, and since I am also in a pre-menopausal state, they suggested chemotherapy, followed by radiation.

What I can't say enough is how incredibly blessed I am to have the best family and friends in the world! I've received cards, flowers, gifts and so much love, support and prayers. Between that and my continuing to remain positive, I know I am going to be just fine.

Eliot, Maine

1 comment:

ShannonNH said...

I just want to thank you Wendy for creating breastcancerstories.com - it has been an unbelievably positive outlet for me!
Thank you! Shannon from NH