Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Carmie's Story from Pennsylvania

I’m happy!! I enjoy my life, my daughter, my friends and my dogs. I wouldn’t ask for more, although most people I know would say that I should. You see, I have breast cancer. It has spread to other areas of my body. Although everyone in the news wants to talk about breast cancer along with fear, fighting and death. I’ve made a choice to make it about value, relationships and enjoying everyday. I won’t lie, some days it’s harder than others to not dwell on the negative. I do realize that one day when I’ve moved on, it will have to do with breast cancer. I’ve learned how to love and appreciate things all over again, something like the book by Robert Fulghum, “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten”. I appreciate the simple things in life. I’ve been told by my loved ones that my outlook on life and things in general is inspirational.

I have to admit, I did have a dark time during the first year of my diagnosis. Why wouldn’t I? Everything that I’d heard about breast cancer was terrible. I was scared and angry. But then, the light started to shine through, my attitude changed. “Carpe diem”, started to be my mantra. Not that I was making rash decisions to parachute off a cliff or go skydiving, but I was seeing the value in everyday. I spent time evaluating what was important to me. Not to sound morbid, but, what I wanted to be said about me at my funeral.

You learn quickly who your friends are, you also learn that some true friends are so scared of dealing with things that make them think about their own mortality that they become a bit more distant. Generosity from others way outshines any disappointment you may have with someone. I was 37 when I first learned that my life was about to change direction. I’m now 41.

I hope to be a positive influence for my daughter, Tia, who is 15. I adore Tia. She is a kind hearted girl with a unique character. I wish many things for her, but the most is that she enjoys and appreciates each day as if it’s a gift. With all that is written, unfortunately, she too may one day face a similar diagnosis. I Believe in a cure, and know that there will a vaccine.

I’m a nurse, in my heart and in my soul. I’ve always worked in the geriatrics/nursing home environment. I love taking care of the elderly! They have so much knowledge and so much experience with life.

Facts about Carmie:
Lives in Lititz, Pennsylvania
Career - LPN in Geriatrics
Has 1 Child - Tia - who is 15 and is Carmie's inspiration
Has 3 Dogs - All girls - Alex, Mystik & Shane
Interests: Creating Pottery on the Wheel, Making Jewelry, Watching her Daughter in the Marching Band - she plays the Bass Dr
In High School Carmie was a Softball star and a drummer in the Marching Band
Goals: Starting her own Charity to help other Cancer patients with the daily physical activities that the have difficulty performing during their fight

Lititz, Pennsylvania

1 comment:

Dolores said...

You are an inspiration and you have definitely encouraged me more than you know. I wouldn't change a thing about you because you are wonderful the way you are. I don't believe I ever had a more compasionate friend. Friends forever.
Love Dolores