Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cindy’s Story from New Jersey

We lost my mom and three of her sisters to breast cancer, so I always felt the possibility of me getting breast cancer was very strong. Well, at age 37 (same age as my mom) I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was lucky because we were able to find it early. I had partial mastectomy and radiation, and now nine and a half years later I can say I'm doing great. The first three years from diagnosis were very hard. I had one complication after another, but I got better.

I have been involved with the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life event for the past seven years as a way for me to do my part to contribute to finding a cure. Being involved gives me the opportunity to share the hope, spread the word, and hopefully find that cure. Our life was going along just great when last year my younger sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. Well, I was somehow prepared for my diagnosis but I never in a million years believed that my sister (who I raised) would ever get breast cancer. She opted for double mastectomy and chemo, so it has been a rough year, but her strength a determination have never wavered. She has three small children and she is determined to get thru this. I'm happy to say she is doing just wonderful.

We are hosting a Breast Cancer Awareness Luncheon on Sept. 30th to kick off breast cancer awareness month. We plan on handing out a lot of information on breast cancer and breast health. We are also working on getting some speakers so that everyone will walk away with a lot more awareness and knowledge on subject. I know we will do it; someday soon we will find that cure so none of our children will have to be faced with hearing those horrible three words, "You have cancer.”

Garwood, New Jersey

No comments: