Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Britney’s Story from Ohio

I remember the night my best friend Britney called me on the telephone and said, “My nipple is bleeding.” At 28-years-old, why would my best friend have breast cancer? It seemed impossible. Britney just moved to North Carolina after separating from her husband who had an affair after one year of marriage. She was a victim of domestic violence and had enough courage to pick up and leave her past behind her. Now, in a new town without friends or family, she found out she had ductal carcinoma at 28-years-old.

Britney pushed friends and family away from her during the time she needed us most. Somehow, she went through her double mastectomy and weeks of recovery alone. She told her family and friends that someone was there to help her when if fact she was by herself most of the time. I have tried to search for young survivors support groups for my friend but they are difficult to find. She isn't comfortable being the youngest person at the support groups.

My best friend went through the last year being lost and in denial. She has recently taken steps to move closer to friends and family and is letting us back in to help her and give her the unconditional love and support she needs. Britney is also very independent. She is so independent that she won't ask for help, she won't ask for therapy, she won't ask for support until she has reached her breaking point. By the time she accepted any help, her medical bills had piled up so high. She didn't open her mail for months since she didn't have the money to pay them. My best friend is extremely courageous and very strong. Britney's family and friends are grateful she is one of the lucky ones, and I know Britney knows she is lucky too.

Reminderville, Ohio

No comments: