Thursday, July 24, 2008

Theresa's Story

I have been a breast cancer survivor for 11 years. I was originally diagnosed shortly after the birth of my third child, my son Christopher. He was three months old at the time. I had a radical masectomy and thirty of my lymph nodes were removed, which five had cancer cells.

I went through a rigorous series of chemotherapy and radiation. It was Christopher's first birthday when I had finished my treatments. I called it a double celebration of life!! My husband was very supportive through everything. We had two other small children, Elizabeth and Sarah. Life was very scary for us but together and with our faith in God we got through it. I became very involved with the Susan G. Komen foundation. I volunteered on the race committee and in 2002 I was the race chair. I was so happy to be able to share my story with everyone showing them and my family and friends a positive attitude pays off.

Two years ago the cancer returned. At first I was angry and disappointed but knew I could become strong again and fight the beast!!! My cancer has spread to my liver but the chemo has kept it in check. I've had to be hospitalized a couple times this year. I actually got out of the hospital two days before Christmas. It was the best Christmas my family ever had....My children are now 17, 15 and 11. they understand what's going on and we along with my husband appreciate every day we're together. Life is a gift.

I have lost many friends to brest cancer through the years I've battled the beast. It has made me want to fight stronger until one day a cure is found and we will no longer have to deal with this nasty disease.

I honor all the women, men and children who have to live with this on a daily basis.Keep smiling, laughing, hugging and loving....

As I've told my children since they were little... Hugs are for free.

No comments: