Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ginny's Story

I was sadly diagnosed with breast cancer just after I turned 24. My only child, Max had just turned 1 and the prognosis was not good. I found my lump 10 months before it was ever removed, and by then the cancer had spread to my lymph nodes. My doctors were not concerned with the lump because at the time I was breast feeding and it was thought that I had a clogged milk duct. When the lump did not go away, and I started to find more I was sent to a surgeon to have them removed. Even the surgeon did not think it could be cancer. I was just too young for breast cancer and I had no family history. Well, here I am now 30 years old, 6 years cancer free, and 2 additional babies- both girls. I am blessed. Even though fighting cancer was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, I don't regret it. My life has been changed for the better. I see the world in a new light and I look for joy daily remembering how quickly it can be taken from me. I know I am stronger, happier, and healthier than I have ever been and for that I am thankful. Breast cancer is no longer a 40 and up disease and there needs to be more awareness. Women and men need to know they are at risk and how important it is to do self exams every month, and if they do find something irregular, to be pro active and get it looked at quickly. I did not know that men were at risk until I was diagnosed. I had never even heard that it was a possibility. We need more awareness! To those who are fighting the disease now, take life one day at a time to fight, and in that day look for the joy, see the beauty around you, be grateful for the things you do have, laugh as much as you can, and surround yourself with the people you love and who love you. Before you know it your treatments will be over, the incisions will be healed, and you too will be thankful for the experience to really know what it means to live life to the fullest.

No comments: