Tuesday, July 8, 2008

MJ's Story

I was diagnosed in June of 2007, My husband has been dealing with cancer and had been quit ill so i had put off getting my mammograms. Then one day, while cleaning out some papers i found the script for the mammogram and thought i think it is time to get one done (it had been a few years) and that is when they found my lump. I was told even by the surgeon that it was so deep that no one could have felt it so it was a good thing that i finally took the time to get a mamogram. I went thru a lumpectomy, mammosite radiation and then was told because I was 3 HR negative that I would need to go thru chemo. For me chemo was the worst thing- not just loosing my hair- i realized that if you didn't like me bald then you really didn't like me. But i had every side effect that a person could get from chemo. I was so sick.

My husband sees a doctor in Kentucky for his cancer a 500 mile trip. I went with him during my chemo treatments and it was the longest trip I ever took, i ended up being dehydrated and so very sick. I tried to go to work but that did not work either.It was so difficult to watch my youngest son go thru another parent with cancer. It seems he has seen enough sickness in our family for awhile. He was such a help to both of us.

It was difficult when I would see someone that i knew in the store and they would try to avoid me, i felt like i had some awful disease- i understand they didn't know what to say to me or what if i was having a bad day and they would make me cry. But it hurt to be treated that way.

Without me working, it became difficult to pay bills and we are still trying to catch up, and that was a big stress factor in my treatment.

I have to go next month to get my 1 year check up and and hoping and praying for the best. I have learned that you have to face reality and deal with the problem one day at a time. Remember when you are having a pity party for yourself that there is some one out there that is worse off than you.

I have learned that family is the most precious thing and you should treasure every moment of them. I would tell anyone that is going thru breast cancer that You can beat it, be tough (easier said than done) and for the family members to support them, help her but don't smother her, let her cry but be there for her when she wants to talk or just have someone to hold her hand and say its gonna be ok or to just take a walk with her.

I have learned that NO matter what is going on in your life, it is very important that you take the time (make the time) to take care of your self. Have a regular mamogram and yearly check ups. You are a very important and special person to someone and it is important that you do these tests on a regular basis.

Life has been tough physical, mental and financial since being diagnosed with cancer but I have learned that I need to take one day at a time and take a moment to smell the roses. Life is precious.

No comments: