Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Linda's Story

I was diagnosed in August/September 2007 after going in for what appeared to be an enlarged lymph node. I was mammogramed, MRIed and biopsied in short order, then diagnosed with stage 3 1/2 breast cancer--in both breasts, but trying to escape through the lymph nodes. I had chemo first, then a bilateral mastectomy, and now am in the waning stage of radiology (35 doses), leaving my chest a sunburnt mess; flaming magenta skin from armpit to armpit--clearly the worst to deal with, as it gets worse every day instead of healing.

To add insult to injury, my place of business changed operating companies (from Co-Advantage to ADP) and so changed insurers, from Aetna to United Health Care. Everything that they promised would be seamless has been CLUEless--even now, I'm paying off the last Flexible Spending Account as I fund the next one for the new insurance policy. Also, United Health Care has as of yet refused to accept what I have submitted to them as proof of my spending out-of-pocket, meaning that the last two months of treatment have not been paid for--basically, I'm paying for insurance I'm not getting. Cancer treatment is expensive, and this glitch will TOTALLY screw up my finances if my insurer's not picking it up--in order to get treatment, you have to be able to pay for it (unless you're homeless or illegal or whatever). Ten thousand dollars might pay for my radiation, but i'm rather pissed off that my insurance company isn't paying for it yet--I'm starting to get bills; and this should all be covered. Thank you for being an arena to vent-- if you happen to think I'm worthy to pay, I'll immediately pay my bills to protect my credit rating--this insurance garbage was my worst nightmare come to life!!

No comments: