Thursday, July 31, 2008

Starla's Story

Cancer. I never realized how dramatically cancer would affect my life up until the last year and a half. My mother died from ovarian cancer, my father-n-law was diagnosed with prostrate cancer, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and in the middle of it all Hurrican Rita ravaged our homes and lives.

I am a breast cancer patient. I have endured chemotherapy and radiation. I'll never forget my first chemo. treatment. I was feeling fine on the drive home (2 hours), calling family to tell them how great I felt. Little did I know, the drugs given before chemo. were working well. About the time we pulled in our driveway I first felt nauseated. My husband had prescriptions to fill for anti-nausea meds., but it was midnight. He waited until the next morning, but our small town pharmacy didn't have the prescribed medications. By that time my nausea was bad, I was dehydrated and still nauseated. We drove for two hours back to the ER.

The most difficult part of my treatment is not having the ultimate supporter and nurturer: my mother. There have been so many times I wanted to hug her and cry on her shoulder. Also, another very difficult situation is the genetic testing I recently received my results.(positive BRCA1 and BRCA11) Now my daughters can be affected. Of coarse, I don't know if they are genetically positive, but they both have a 50% chance.

Before, I thought cancer equaled death. I know many people die from cancer, like my mother. However, I have also seen another side of cancer. Cancer can reveal strength, love, caring , prayers, parties, research and many more good things. People have reached out and I have experienced their love and support. My family has enjoyed many cooked and delivered meals. I was given a supirse hat party; where everyone brought me a hat or scarf to cover my bare head. Also we had a "no more radiation celebration". I received these blessings in a time of need, and I want to give back. I'm a cancer patient, I've lost a love one, and I intend to survive this illness. Therefore, I can become more knowledgeable and watch for new research that will benefit so many women.

No comments: