Thursday, July 24, 2008

Angela's Story

When I was young my nickname was Kansas, my chest never developed. I was always upset and seriously considered augmentation. April 7th 2008 changed that forever and I was finally glad I had small breasts. After religiously doing my monthly breast exams and just having my physical in January I couldn't believe what I accidentally found. Watching my Memphis Tigers in the NCAA championship (which they lost) I was quite emotional and moving all over the place because they make me a nervous wreck, I just happened to brush my chest right at the top of my left breast.....my heart stopped. I work in the medical field so I knew right then what it was, that horrible marble in my breast that wouldn't move and as hard as a pressed wouldn't hurt. Two days later I was having a needle biopsy and on April 10th I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. A week after that I had a lumpectomy removing two lumps and 15 lymphnodes, 4 being positive. Stage 2 cancer with a grade 3 tumor, such scary news. I am a single mom with two beautiful boys, they are my reason to fight this ugly disease and my youth allows me to participate in a clinical study in hopes of helping with the cure of this nasty C word. I still work full time, I have to. But the best is how my boys now kiss the top of my bald head before they kiss me on the cheek. They love my bald head and that makes me feel like the most beautiful woman in the world. All funding for grants are gone so the cost of treatment is now more stressful than the treatment itself, why is that the case when you have health insurance? Is it logical to end up with a $13,000 bill in the end, is that how health insurance works, for them and not for you? I don't understand that but I can't let that stress show, I stay strong for my boys. I stay strong for all the women who have gone through this, are going through this and who lost the fight to this. We are a sisterhood, sisters of pink. Now I finally have a purpose for my favorite color being pink. I have a long haul yet in this battle but I will win, it doesn't have a chance against me. PINK POWER!!!!

7 comments:

Quintana fam said...

Angela, we don't know each other all that well, but you have been an example of strength and grace to me. As a mom and a young woman, what you're going through is very real to me, and you're always in my thoughts and prayers. I know I've told you this before, but if you ever need anything at all, please call on me. I mean that.

Anonymous said...

Angela-
You are such a good exaple for all. You are doing suck a good job keeping strong, I know how hard it is for you, and your boys. You are in my prayer always.

Anonymous said...

Angela, you are a very strong lady, raising your boys and working full time. How you find the strength and the willpower to be so couragous and uplifting everyday is beyond me. You have many friends that are there for you, if you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to ask. I pray to god that you get the funding that you so deserve, and that you overcome this devastating, unfair cancer. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Angela, you are strongest lady I know. I don't know how you do everything you do and still be the nicest person to everybody. Our prays are with you everyday. If you need anything just ask and we will all see you at the end of your race. God bless, Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Angela is the sweetest girl I know and she is ver inspiring to women all over the world that women can be strong even through the scariest time in your life.She is very brave and I wish all the best to her and her boys. You rock girlfriend!

Anonymous said...

Her positive attitude is inspiring. Her strength is amazing. The fact that she still put others ahead of herself during this difficult time in her life proves what a wonderful woman she truly is!

Anonymous said...

Angela, you are so strong everyone wonders how you have the strength to do what you do you amazing. You are always in our prays everyday. We wish you and your boys the best. Love you