Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Cindy's Story

On October 24, 2005, the results of my biopsy came back. It was positive; I had breast cancer. By April, 2006, I had undergone two surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation. I am a survivor and have been cancer-free, with no reoccurrences, for two years and three months.

My family, friends, and students supported me throughout my battle. My husband helped me to believe, and never lose hope. My oldest son, fifteen at the time, believed in me. My youngest son, eleven years old, realized that life isn’t perfect, but with love, faith and strength, all is possible.

My circle of friends sent love, strength, and “good vibes” my way every single day. We learned together that cancer isn’t a death sentence. We believed that I could win the fight.

Finally, my sixth grade students helped me keep a sense of humor. We made fun of my wig, and we laughed until we cried when I melted my fake hair while pulling cinnamon buns out of the oven.

Life has been different for all of us and we have learned some valuable lessons. We are better equipped to deal with what life throws out at us. We know that with love, faith and strength, anything is possible. We recognize the power of laughter and cannot let a day go by without at least a few chuckles. Most importantly, we have learned to believe. Believe in yourself, believe in others, believe in hope, and believe in a cure!

No comments: