Thursday, July 31, 2008

Laurie's Story

My story starts out with the fear and drama that most of us start this journey with. I was pregnant with my second child when I first felt what is now called "the lump." I didn't get it checked out right away because I was pregnant and nearing the end of my pregnancy. I wasn't sure if it was a scary lump or just part of being pregnant and all the changes that come with it.I delivered a beautiful baby boy and decided to wait and see what happened. When he was about 2 months old I was pumping some milk after I had nursed and noticed that there was blood in my milk. I was frozen with terror. I knew this was no ordinary lump. It needed to be checked out. After meeting with my obstetrician and being referred to a surgeon the decision to remove the lump was made. I decided not to biopsy it and just wait until they had all the tissue from the lumpectomy to get the full story. On Monday November 21, 2005 the news came. It was cancer, I was 27 and completely shocked. Like everyone else who has been there the thought was what have I done wrong? Why is this happening to me? After driving home numb with the diagnosis, I allowed myself to be numb but only until the next morning. Then I was ready to fight! The mastectomy was two and a half weeks later. Chemo started a month after that. Time dragged and life was a blur of treatments, blood draws and many days counting down the moments until you knew you could make it through another treatment. Eight rounds of chemo were followed by twenty five days worth of radiation treatments. No matter what the trial there will always be setbacks. No matter what the trial there will always be blessings and miracles. I had my share of setbacks, blessings and miracles. The best being able to celebrate the birth of my third chil just eighteen months after finishing treatment. She wasn't in "the plan, " but she was worth the pain to experience the miracle. So far there has been no reoccurence. I cross my fingers and pray each day that it will stay that way. I know that if the cancer comes back I will give it all I've got to beat it again so I can raise my three children. My dreams were different before I joined the pink sorority. Now they are simple with much more substance. Cancer is a journey not a punishment. You think of who you were, who you are and FIGHT each day to become the person you've always dreamed about being.

No comments: