Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shannon's Story

After seeing the article in my local newspaper, I've thought deeply about what I would say. First of all, let me answer some of your questions and then show you my heart. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June, 2007 after I found a lump in my breast. I am a believer in self examinations because my mammogram five months prior showed nothing. I had a mastectomy in July, 2007, and began chemo in August, 2007. Besides my cancer diagnosis, it was also discovered that I am estrogen positive, and HER2 positive. Although my chemo was completed in December, 2007, I am now undergoing Herceptin treatment just like I did with chemo (every 3 weeks, through my port for 1 year). I am also taking a medication called Tamoxifen for my estrogen positive diagnosis that will last for five years. I recently underwent my final reconstructive breast surgery two weeks ago, and I think I am actually done with surgery (five in one year is exhausting). I have learned many things over the past year and have faced many challenges however I would have to say that my Faith has played a big role. I never once considered the possibility of death for a number of reasons. I have two daughters, and I had to fight for them. Not only were they confused about my diagnosis, but their father and I had separated six weeks prior. I had to be strong. I had to continue to raise them in a healthy way, even though I was not healthy. I had to continue to wake up each morning and ask God to give me the strength to get through the day-not the week, the day. My 11 year old daughter and I were talking one night, and she asked me why God would give me cancer and take her daddy away all in one month. I had to answer her honestly and tell her that there was a plan for me....for us...and although I was not sure yet what it was, it was already predetermined. I now know that I am to get involved with raising awareness. I participated in the Susan G. Koman race in my area and loved it. I then helped raise money for our local Relay For Life and finally felt connected. I have been contacted by the commitee recently to join their team. My life changed on June 25th, 2007 FOREVER....but to me it's not been a bad thing. I have a purpose, a direction that was not there before. I am a women with Breast Cancer. I am a fighter. I am strong. I have a relationship with other cancer women that nobody else gets.....and that is powerful!!!

No comments: