Thursday, July 31, 2008

Carletta's Story

In 1980, at age 24, after I had just had my third child, one day I noticed some leaking coming from my right breast. I subsequently went to the doctor, had a mammogram, and was told there was an over-secretion in one of the ducts in my breast. This continued on and off for about 10 years and at age 34, I went for another mammogram and was told I still had the over-secretion of that duct in my right breast. After turning 40, one morning I awoke to find blood secreting from my right breast. I went immediately to the doctor and after extensive workup, was told a polyp was found in my right breast; this was removed with no abnormal findings, but I began going every six months for a mammogram and ultrasound. Three years later, I was released only to return once a year for a checkup.

In August of 2000, one day I noticed a knot in my right upper breast. I immediately returned to my doctor, and this time I was told I did have breast cancer. The doctor said I had some important decisions to make. After much thought and prayer, and having a family history of breast cancer, I chose to have both breasts removed. Upon removal of the right breast, the cancer was found to have infiltrated out of the duct into the breast; removal of the left breast revealed abnormal cells had developed as well. I thank God for the wisdom of choosing to have both breasts removed.

This is where my true journey of faith began. I am a wife, mother of three, grandmother of eleven, and a Beautician, owning my own business. My battle with breast cancer was one that was not won alone but with my Savior, Jesus, who revealed to me that his timing is perfect, and when there are times I cannot trust his hand, I can always trust his heart. He would bring scripture to my mind to strengthen me such as his yoke is easy, and his burden is light. My husband always let me know he loved and even without breasts, made me feel beautiful. My Sister, Claudia, encouraged me to go ahead with chemotherapy instructing me that I was obligated to live until I die. My Sister, Claudette, said to me “The pain will last for a moment, but the glory will last through eternity.” A friend who had battled cancer simply stated “It is doable.” My children were there to change the dressings, empty draining tubes, and help out where needed. I know my mother spent countless hours in prayer for me. I thank God even through being exhausted, sometimes not being able to think clearly because of the chemotherapy, God gave me the strength to still work on the days I did not have treatments, I thank him that I never lost my hair, and I can say with complete honesty, I was not afraid. Just as Job said, “Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him.”

At age 52, it has been eight years now since my diagnosis, and I have had no recurrence of cancer. As I sit here remembering that time, I am truly thankful for what God has done for me. I have shared my story with so many for it has become such a great part of my life and testimony. I have had the opportunity to encourage many through my story and would not change going through cancer for the world. I have truly learned through cancer that I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. As my good friend said to me, “It is doable,” and when you come through it, you have a great opportunity to encourage others, tell of your faith, and make a difference for someone else. I appreciate so much for the opportunity to share my story, and if anyone reading this now is battling breast cancer, just remember that you may have cancer, but you do not have to let cancer have you.

No comments: