Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sue's Story

My name is Cathy. I am actually writing this for my mom, Sue Hankins, who is not technically capable of submitting this letter, with her permission.

Around Christmas time 2007, I noticed a lump in my breast. I have had lumps before but this one felt different. I knew that we did not have any money for a doctor visit and that Medicare coverage for me will begin in about April 2008, so I decided to wait until that time to see a doctor. When my coverage began, I went to the doctor who promptly sent me for a mamogram. The mamogram did indead show what seemed like a cancerous lump. The doctors took test and the results were as feared. I have cancer. The doctor suggested a masectomy on the breast with cancer. I elected to go ahead and do a double masectomy to avoid future problems. After the surgury, the doctor found pre-cancerous cells in the other breast and cancer in the lymph nodes also. Now the doctor says that I need Chemo-therapy and Radiation and medications that will cost more money than we see in a month. Medicare will cover some of the cost but the doctor and the hospital want the rest of the money up front before I can start the treatments. We simply do not have the money. We do not qualify for Medicaid because we have property and a vehicle. We have placed the property and vehicle for sale but have not had any luck selling due to no interested buyers and title complications. I just don't know what to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so much more difficult to live with one's body than with one's soul. One's body is so much more exacting: what it won't have it won't have, and nothing can make bitter into sweet.