Thursday, July 31, 2008

Gail's Story

Let’s start with the good news. I am cancer free as of today!

It is a relief that is for sure, but (and there is always a but with cancer) I have forgotten how to celebrate thoroughly, as in down to my core. You see I have a terrorist that lies in wait, that is ready to pounce when I least expect it. I am an eight year survivor in this war on terror and I have the scars to prove it (two reocurrences). Living with cancer is a marvelous thing – the moments of simple clarity, the aweness of awareness, the breathe of life, the hope of tomorrow, the dreams of a future. But wait, there It is again, a feeling in my gut, a sickening tug that reminds me I have stage IV metastatic breast cancer, there is no cure. I want it to go away so desperately, and I do my best to do just that by eating organic, doing yoga and tai chi, meditating, long walks at the beach and keeping stress at bay. These are things I can control, and I feel good about doing them, but I do live cautiously not carelessly. I cannot be reckless I need the health insurance.

Let’s go back to the good news. I am cancer free as of today! I live today because of smart doctors, medicine that my cancer responds to, and a good attitude - what this means I cannot tell you exactly, except that I am by nature an eternal optimist. I am also very lucky, I have a wonderful supportive husband and two beautiful daughters who have grown to be wonderful adults. I am also blessed with a strong will and perseverance. I will not take no as an answer or leave a stone unturned when I am faced with an obstacle that my life may depend on. I have earned my badge of courage but I do not wear it outwardly, as the terrorist might snatch it away.

Let’s end with the good news. I am cancer free as of today!

No comments: