Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tammy's Story from Oklahoma

In December 2001 I got the devastating news that I had breast cancer. My sons were three and five years old, and all I could think was "They are too young to remember me if I die". They were my reasons to fight my hardest.

I found out about a clinical trial to get a new experimental drug, Herceptin. I had a double mastectomy, did 1 1/2 years of infusions, 36 rounds of radiation, four reconstructive surgeries, and continue on hormonal therapy to this day.

My fight has moved from a personal physical battle, to one of advocacy for others. I have just returned from Washington DC, meeting with my elected officials, asking for increased funding for cancer research and support of cancer issues. My fear has been transformed into power.

I will continue to fight this disease until it is no longer a threat to individuals and families anymore. I have lived to see my sons reach milestones I was afraid I wouldn't see - and I celebrate each one.

Edmond, Oklahoma

No comments: