Friday, October 19, 2007

Jeri's Story from Utah

I am writing on behalf of my mother, Jeri, who is at this time battling breast cancer. I went to Southern California this past summer to be with her during the beginning treatments of her chemotherapy. I felt like I was going to die watching my mother go through what she did. I said to myself, "if it were me I couldn't do this."

My mother was so very sick, her weight plummeted, the iron treatments, the allergic reactions to the treatments, the blood transfusions, the seizure, the nausea and vomiting. But like most fighters, my mom keeps on going because it is what she has to do.

My Mom retired and then was diagnosed with lobular and ductal breast cancer and had double mastectomies. The self images she feels are so sad as a daughter to watch. She is a very giving and loving mother of six daughters. She cares more for the neighbor and her ailing husband than what she is going through.

Not long ago she found out that her insurance is ending at the end of the year and she will need to find new doctors and insurance to continue her treatments. There has been one stress added to another but she just keeps on going and doing what she needs to do. I worry about her financial state.

She gets up and still goes to her Silver Sneakers water classes so she can feel and get better. She is a woman that has given to the community through programs that work with families court ordered to take classes that she taught. She loved working with the families. She served in her church, community, and work.

She is my hero and I love her so much and she has made me a stronger and better person today. Please consider her for your "Think Pink For Life" winner, because she is my winner.

Saratoga Springs, Utah

No comments: