Monday, October 22, 2007

Lisa's Story from Iowa

My Journey

I call this my journey because I see it as just a bump in the road of life and God's plan for me. My journey started in November of 2006. I found a lump in my left breast and thought I don't have time to go to the doctor right now, I was a single mom of three, just found a new boyfriend and was working three jobs to make ends meet. So I put off going to the doctor till a week or so before Christmas when things were starting to slow down at one of my jobs.

My doctor did the exam and wanted me to have a mammogram right away but the hospital in Shenandoah couldn't get me in till after the new year so she called around to other hospitals close and got me an appointment the next day in Red Oak,Ia.

While I was there they did an ultrasound and decided I needed a biopsy the next day and an MRI the day after that. The biopsy came back positive for Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, and the MRI showed a small lump in my right breast also. So back for another biopsy on the right breast and two days before Christmas I was told I had cancer in both breast and was recommended I have a double mastectomy.

Well we made it through Christmas with as much normality as possible and reading up as much as I could about breast cancer and my options so when I saw the surgeon I wasn't going in blind. I found a wonderful surgeon in Omaha, NE. He talked to me for two hours on my first visit and answered all my questions and concerns.

We scheduled my surgery for January 15th 2007 a double Mastectomy without reconstruction, I decided that the pain from the surgery was enough for me and my family to endure at one time. So the day of my surgery arrives and it snowed eight inches through the night and we, my new boyfriend Christian and I, had an hour drive that took two hours because of the snow ahead of us.

The surgery went perfect, I stayed three days in hospital with him by my side the whole time and went home with four drain tubes, more pain that I have ever had to endure in my life, being totally dependent on my family and no breast!

My two daughters Amanda, 14, and Hope, seven, at the time (my son Brandon 21 lives on his own) and Christian nursed me back to health, I felt so guilty that they had to take care of me, I am suppose to take care of them. Without them I would not have been able to do anything for myself, the pain in my chest and arms kept me from doing things for myself, bathing, brushing my hair, cooking was not an option so my girls and Christian did it all.

Then it was time for chemotherapy six rounds of a triple cocktail of poison once every three weeks. Starting the 20th of February, all my hair fell out within three weeks after my first dose, I was devastated even though I knew it was going to fall out nothing prepares you for the reality of it.

Well I have made it through everything so far with a smile on my face most days and a song in my heart. With the help of my friends who brought food for my family when I was recovering and the love and support of my family and my strength from God. Without everyone backing me up my journey would have been a lot harder, I thank everyone who has been there for me!

My story isn't any different than any of the others I have read but it was nice sharing it with others who have been where I have been and know what it is all about. Good luck to everyone who is still going through their journeys and to all those who have finished theirs. I wish breast cancer would stop with my story and nobody else had to go on this journey but I know that won't happen.

For all those wondering my new boyfriend Christian stuck with me through all of this and is still by my side today! My love and trust in God has kept me strong for my family. To Amanda, Hope, Brandon, My Parents, Sharon and Christian THANK YOU for all you have done and I LOVE YOU ALL!

Farragut, Iowa

No comments: