Thursday, October 18, 2007

Joan's Story from West Virginia

Where there is life there is hope. My story began in April 1993 when I was 58 years old. I am now 72. I really need to go back to the beginning.

Since I was around 35 years old I had periodic cysts and tumors in my breasts. They were all benign. I had regular yearly mammograms and breast exams because my grandmother died with breast cancer when I was 2l. My mother had her breasts stripped to keep from getting breast cancer and my sister had a double radical mastectomy at the age of 29, so I was very aware of developing it at some age.

When I had my mammogram at 58 years old it was found that I had calcifications in my right breast which were cancerous. My right breast was removed and 2l lymph nodes. It had passed through l lymph node. I had been led to believe that self breast examinations or a breast exam by a doctor would find any sign of cancer. No doctor had ever mentioned calcifications to me (which can only be detected by a mammogram) When I speak at public meetings or to women in general,(especially to my two daughters and two granddaughters I emphasize the importance of getting a yearly mammogram because of calcifications that can go undetected.

I personally think that women, especially with a family history should insist on a mammogram starting at 30 even if they have to pay for it. I had my left breast removed as a precautionary measure and have never regretted it. They can have reconstructive surgery or there are wonderful breast forms and beautiful bras available. My encologist advised me that my physician should never have put me on hormone replacement therapy. I was on it for 10 years.

When I was 1st diagnosed I had six months of very strong chemotherapy and lost all of my hair for the lst time. After six months, my scans were clear and I was considered in remission. I took tomaxifin for five years and assumed all was well. I was not on Medicare at this time and had to pay 20% on all of my treatments which created a financial burden from which I am still recovering.

I continued to go to my encologist every three months for a checkup and blood work and yearly CT scans. In July 2004 I went for blood work which showed that something had changed. I had a chest x-ray, CT scan On July 26, 2004 I had a needle biopsy of my right lung (at which time my lung collapsed). The biopsy showed that my breast cancer had matastized to my right lung after 14 years.I was advised at that time that I had HER2 protein receptors which only 25% of breast cancer patients have.

The only treatment at that time was Herceptin. I had another port placed in my chest wall (Again my lung collapsed)I started on my Herceptin (intraveinously)on August 13th,2004 33 treatments lx a week plus Taxol (chemo) starting in Nov.2004. I finished these treatments in March,2005. I lost my hair for the second time and had scans. I was in remission again. I was put on maintenance Herceptin lxmonth from July 8,2005 through Dec.2005 (still in remission).

I had a Pet scan Jan.22,2006. The cancer was back. I started Chemo-Taxol and Herceptin until Aug. 19,2006. I had CT Scan. I was in remission again. I lost my hair again.

The cancer came back Feb.2007, I started on a new drug (pill) called Tykerb specifically for women with HER 2 positive receptors in May, 2007 (It was appr0ved by the FDA in MArch,2007. I also started on Xeloda) cancer pill in April, 2007. I had a Pet Scan on Aug.12,2007. I was in remission again at this time (Oct.15,2007)

I thank God for giving the doctors and researchers the knowledge to come up with new methods of treating this terrible disease. My prayer is that soon they will find a cure so that I can ease m mind about my daughters and granddaughters. I have learned through all of this that you have to call upon your inner strength even in the tough times. I was blessed with a wonderful husband as a caregiver and encourager. I now keep in touch in the women in my community who are going through treatments for various types of cancer. I hope that in some small way I have been an inspiration to them. Thank you for this opportunity to tell my story so that it may help others who may have the opportunity to read this.

Pineville, West Virginia

No comments: