Monday, October 22, 2007

Patricia's Story from California

I have a wonderful dear friend whom I have known for 13 years. Her name is Janet, and I have felt blessed during the 13 years I have known her.

She is a single mother raising three beautiful daughters on her own, and although she has gone through many trials and hardships in her life she always manages to keep a smile on her face and have a positive outlook to life. I have never known her to be bitter or angry.

I found out a little over a year ago that Janet had stage three breast cancer. I found myself praying and questioning God, as to why He let this happen to her, somebody who has gone through so much already.

Janet went for chemo and radiation to shrink the lump, and then have a lumpecyomy, after her surgery she went for more radiation. I saw Janet about three weeks ago at church. As is normal for Janet, she had a big smile on her face and a hug for me. Instead of telling me about all she had been through, she told me about some of the funny things that had happened to her, while fighting cancer.

One of the stories she shared with me was when she was barbecuing and her wig melted due to the heat of the fire, all she could do was laugh and say she learned a valuable lesson, take your wig off before you barbecue.

Janet has lost a lot due to breast cancer. Being self-employed she has lost her income, her hair, and this has been financially hard on her. But through all this she has not lost her faith, her love for helping others, her love for her family and friends, her sense of humor or her inward beauty. I known everyone has someone to write about, and I also know every battle with breast cancer is every women’s battle.

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer this month. I am writing about Janet, so others can see that there is hope in this extremely hard situation. I can say without a doubt that she is a survivor. I know that having breast cancer has to take courage, hope, faith, and the will to fight. Janet has all of these things plus a beautiful smile. That is why I wrote her story. I think she deserves some pampering, as will as some financial support.

Murrieta, California

No comments: