Thursday, October 18, 2007

Candy's Story from Florida

Hi, my name is Brittany. I am 13 years old, and I'd like to share my story about my hero, my Mom!!!

On April 13, 2007 my mother was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast cancer, she tried to stay strong for me but I know she felt her world was falling apart!!

Late at night I would hear her crying it broke my heart. My mom has always been there for me as my mom and my friend. I can go to her for anything. She gives me advice we share good times and bad!! She's been actively involved in all my school activities, she's been my homeroom mom, our chaperone for every event, Girl Scout leader, chauffer, etc. My mom is my provider, caregiver my everything, she always puts me and others before herself asking nothing in return.

My mom went through Chemo (AKA Red Devil)and Taxol I thought it was going to kill her, she was sick everyday all day, but she still worked. Did I mention she cleaned houses for a living? She knew she would lose her hair by the second chemo so she cut 19 inches of her hair off and gave it to Locks of Love, she said she wanted a child to have her hair so the child could feel good!!

On July 17,2007 my mother had a Masectomy of her right breast and all the Lymph Nodes under her right arm. She had two drains in for four weeks. She had to be off work for two months which added to her worries because if she doesn’t work she doesn’t get paid. She's started radiation and say's she feels like she's been thrown into a deep fat fryer.

It hurts me to see my mom suffer I know it's taken a toll on her and radiation isn’t over. Mom still has two more surgery's to go into next year. It’s been a Long six months of watching her sick, tired, and suffering. Yet, she tells all her friends, family and ladies she meets the importance of checking yourself and having yearly exams. She says if she can save or help one person everything she has gone through was worth it. I truly am the luckiest kid to have her as my mom.

Tampa, Florida

No comments: