Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Eleanor's Story from Tennessee

The year 1993 rolled around easily as most years do when one retires, but in March of that year, a lot of changes came into my life. I was diagnosed with a lump in my left breast which turned out to be malignant.

My surgeon was the “best”---good Christian doctor, and a great caring person. Seventeen nodes were removed, but thankfully only one was cancerous. I wound up having six months chemo plus having to take the pill Tomaxifen for five years. My oncologist was also the best in his field (I thought) I braved these treatments with optimism.

I believe in my heart that our attitude has a lot to do with a full recovery. My husband was right by my side all the way. I endured these treatments really well, as I never suffered any ill effects or sickness. My hair became thin but then I am fortunate to have thick hair. No wig was ever needed.

My life changed at this point and made me aware of the number of women who suffer from cancer and many of my church friends went through the same procedure the same year.

In the year 2001, after checking in on my yearly visit with my same surgeon, I was informed that a lump was found in my other breast. I chose to have a lumpectomy. Two weeks later my surgeon called me and my husband into his office. With the doctors knowledge I knew he was wiser than this ole gal, so we agreed to have my other breast removed. This surgery turned out much better than the other one as it was classified as being non- invasive. No chemo, no tomoxifen, just a recuperation time. I recuperated beautifully and now have two prosthesis.

Other than this problem my health is good, I am 82 and lost my husband three years ago. Life is good and I’m blessed with two single children living with me and they certainly take good care of their mom. I may die from cancer, but not BREAST CANCER.

Thank you for this opportunity.

Jackson, Tennessee

No comments: