Thursday, October 18, 2007

Candace's Story from Ilinois

“My Loved One’s Breast Cancer Story”

“Sugar and spice, and everything nice, that’s what little girl’s are made of. All dressed up in pink, who’d ever think, one could be so beautiful? And she was! My daughter, Candace Michelle, made her debut on a warm August morning. She is forty-three years old now, and we’ve shared many special occasions. However, I never dreamed we’d share the breast cancer story, with the Pink Ribbon emblem.

The early 2000’s found me engrossed in being asked to join the many other volunteers in the walk campaign for the American Cancer Society. I readily accepted. I had lost my maternal grandmother to colon cancer some years earlier.

Candace is the mother of eleven children. Her hubby and she had been divorced several years before his passing in July of 2007. It was during the time of preparation for his burial that I learned, from my sister, of Candace’s illness.

I knew she had been quiet and restless, moving from Illinois to Georgia, then finally to Florida. Not mentioning a word about her suffering! She didn’t seem to know what to do or where to go.

As I reflect back on those times now, I have to wonder what my reaction would have been had I known, that the moves, the uncertainty was all due to her illness.

Having settled in Florida, my native home, with my sister, where she decided to undergo treatments, she returned to Illinois for her husband’s burial. As news of his passing reached my sister in Union City, Georgia, she called me regarding final arrangements for him.

It was during the course of this conversation, that she said to me, “Sis, I think you ought to know, some family members are hesitant about telling you, but Candace has breast cancer.” My response to the news, escapes my memory at the moment. Perhaps I’ll ask my sister, Ruby how I responded, in due time, after this is all over.

I can only imagine feeling shocked and stunned. The same numbness that I’d felt for weeks now, concerning her loss. And now, it was starting all over again. Like a piece of ice, that was almost melted, or a body that was nearly thawed out, then, another jolt of power and it freezes all over again.
I continue with the motions and the emotions of living, only because I believe in the Supreme Power of God! Candace, when asked about her illness, replied simply, “Who told you?” I have never seen her look more lovely, and she seemed in very good spirits.

After about a week, she returned to Florida to begin her cancer treatments. I dreaded seeing her go, wanted to be with her all the way. We usually talk each week and sometimes several times during the week. I can tell on occasions that she’s not feeling well. She assures me that it’s the medication. She explains to me the procedures as best she can.

The treatment center is about 60 miles from our home village. Different family members drive her to the center. There have been times when she was late for an appointment due to car trouble. My sister, her daughter, other family members and friends have been very supportive of her during this ordeal. I would say, totally supportive.

What hurts the most, is recalling all the moves, she became homeless when her power was disconnected, water shut off and not sharing her secret of breast cancer.

As she prepares for surgery in the next few weeks, these thoughts, I’m sure, will be uppermost in my mind. I’ll never forget “our” breast cancer experience, or its little pink symbol. Hopefully, this Christmas, I can purchase her several of the Breast Cancer Awareness gifts, all wrapped in different packages for her to open. At first glance, hopefully, she’ll notice the pink ribbon, and the message that a portion of its cost will be donated to Breast Cancer Awareness.

I walked with my son in the 90’s for St. Jude’s Children Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. My wish is that “our” experience will lead her toward joining the fight against breast cancer. For wining her bout, isn’t what it’s all about; we need to knock this disease out!

Urbana, Illinois

No comments: