Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Terry's Story from South Carolina

Hi. I am a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed in 1997. I was 26 years old when I was diagnosed. I will be 10 years cancer free this year.

I found my lump on breast exam. Lucky for me, I am a mammographer. If I did not work in the field, I would have not been taken seriously due to my age. I had to tell the doctor to order a mammogram, and he argued that it was probably nothing. I told him what I did for a living and I already knew it was breast cancer. Fortunately, I caught it in time. It was stage one with no lymph node involvement.

The disease has changed my life. I no longer take things for granted. I am truly an “alive for the day” person. Every day is a gift from God. I don't believe in saving because you might not live long enough to spend it, and every moment is precious, so enjoy life.

Swansea, South Carolina

No comments: