Thursday, September 6, 2007

Michelle's Story from Wisconsin

My story is about my daughter, Michelle. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in August 2006 at the young age of 27. She had called off her wedding which was planned for 9/23/06 due to growing tension and stress. Then, just two weeks after making that very emotional decision, she found a lump near her armpit. With much reassurance that it probably was a cyst, she did pursue it further with her doctor. She underwent a mammogram, ultrasound, MRI and biopsy and with each passing test the results kept getting worse. She had a bilateral mastectomy on 9/13/06.

I am so proud of my daughter for the strength and wisdom she demonstrated to make very difficult decisions which will impact the rest of her life. She underwent chemotherapy with amazing courage. Rarely did she complain. Through this all she continued to work and tried to maintain a normal lifestyle. In the midst of all this she did rebuild her relationship with her fiancé. They were married at the courthouse in January, after she completed her last round of chemo. They are planning a celebration of their marriage on 9/23/07, one year later.

Michelle continues to struggle with the fear of reoccurrence. She is currently taking tamoxifen with hopes of decreasing her risks; unfortunately this also leaves her unable to even consider children for the next five years. I wish to nominate her because I am so proud of her for the strength and courage she has demonstrated. We have grown much closer through this all. I thank God daily for letting me continue to have her in my life and pray for the chance to have many years ahead to enjoy with her.
Cedarburg, Wisconsin

No comments: