Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Carol's Story from Michigan

Eight years ago I went through a divorce I did not want. I found the yard work and the finances overwhelming at times. I grew tired and lost weight. My doctor thought the house held too many memories and maybe I should think about selling my home and start over somewhere new. I got a new home and also a new smile from my dentist. I saw my daughter Michelle graduate from college. I was doing ok.

I was happy for almost two months. I pulled a muscle in my chest at work. My doctor treated me but I was not healing so he sent me to another doctor. This doctor was very kind and talked me through each test he took explaining that he was indeed looking for CANCER. Test after test NO CANCER WAS FOUND. I knew I could face anything as long as it wasn't cancer.

I developed a large blood clot on my torn muscle. It would not dissolve. I was scheduled for out patient surgery to have this removed. That week 9/11 happened. We rescheduled surgery for Oct. 2, 2001. No cancer was all that mattered to me. I could afford to wait, the world was in turmoil.

The next day was Wed. Oct. 3, 2001. I had just received a call from my daughters that morning that my ex-husbands new wife had just passed away from breast cancer. Then at 1:10 pm that afternoon my doctor called me and told me I had breast cancer and it was stage three. The tears I cried came from my very soul. I chose aggressive surgery followed immediately with reconstructive surgery at the same time. Then I took the most aggressive chemo I could. I chose to fight.

In the three years that followed, my daughter Amy graduated from college and both girls got married within eight months of each other. I had four more surgeries and lost my pretty smile. The good news is I am now "NANA" to three beautiful grandchildren and I have been surgery free for two years.

My medication has been straightened out now and I feel better than ever. I want to embrace life. I want to date. I want my smile to match my attitude. I took a new job at work to help make my dream a reality. I found a new dentist to help me. I am going to be 54 years old Sept. 28 and I just don't care...I am just glad to be alive!! I have bills like anyone lese but now I tell my friends DON'T DREAM YOUR LIFE...LIVE IT!

Kentwood, Michigan

No comments: