Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Karen's Story from New Jersey


I read the "For Every Body" ad while sitting in the doctor's office. It inspired me to write you the story of my younger sister, Karen. She has been the strong one never faltering when our mother needed us after my father died last year while in a nursing home. She was the one on vigil in December of last year at the hospital when our mother suffered a life threatening heart attack when my sister and collapsed in exhaustion.

She didn't skip a beat as a mother when her world was rocked just after her 50th birthday in Feb 07 with a 3rd stage breast cancer diagnosis. She worried more about how to tell her three beautiful daughters than about herself. Always the giver never expecting anything in return. I would like to give back to her what she has given to us and more specifically to me. Because, you see, she was the one who was my support and kept me fighting when I was diagnosed with 3rd stage breast cancer three years ago.

I may be a survivor but it was from her strength that I'm here today. She is still in the uphill battle for her life as she continues with the chemo and faces a double mastectomy in November 07 followed by radiation. Only those of us who experience how difficult it is know the true meaning of the word "survivor". I pray everyday for both of us. I believe there is always hope for a cure.

With two of us in one family dealing with the same diagnosis, the worry of our future and that of our children will forever be with us. Please consider her for this support. It would mean a great deal to me to be able to give back to her in a "big" way for what she did for me and our family.

She is struggling financially and had been trying to do much needed repairs on her aging home when she was diagnosed which is now on hold until they can determine the money needed to cover current and future non covered medical costs. I truly believe your heart rendering ad in the Hallmark Magazine was meant to be read by me at that moment in time to force me to reflect on how lucky I am to have such a great sister. Regardless of your decision I applaud your organization for supporting our cause so aggressively and helping prevent our daughters from potentially facing this same fate in their future. Thank you.

Marlton, New Jersey

No comments: