Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Jody's Story from Maine

"I thought I did everything right!" That was the thought I had when I received my diagnosis of stage II Invasive Breast Cancer on Halloween 2006.

Four days prior, I found a lump on my breast while I was pumping breast milk for my 15 month old daughter. She was taking a nap on a beautiful fall day. I immediately started rubbing it hoping it was a clogged milk duct and that it would just go away. I showed my husband who agreed with me that we should call our family doctor.

My doctor was able to see me that day. He assured me that it was likely a clogged milk duct but recommended that I have an ultrasound done just to be sure. That night I just knew it was more serious. I insisted to have the ultrasound done the next day.

Last year I was watching an ultrasound under much different circumstances; seeing my baby girl for the first time. Ultrasounds had always been such a joyous occasion, but not this time.

The Radiologist informed me that I needed a mammogram and a biopsy immediately. The afternoon was a blur filled with these events. At 32 years old I didn't expect to have a mammogram for another eight years.

As a registered dietitian, I always tried to be a role model of how to assure good health. We ate right, exercised, avoided carcinogens and I breast fed both of my two children. Every moment until I received the diagnosis that Halloween night was full of anxiety.

It was hard to stay strong for my soon to be four-year-old son so he wouldn't be worried about Mommy. I tried to enjoy a night of trick or treating with my children. Later, my Husband and I picked up the phone to call my surgeon to find out what we were dealing with. I didn't hear much for the first few minutes after hearing the diagnosis. My husband was franticly writing every detail down. Something I do remember hearing was my Surgeon saying, "Jody, we are going to be aggressive with this. Be strong. We are going to grow old together."

That's when we went into FIGHT mode. We were aggressive. We went through chemotherapy and decided to undergo bilateral mastectomies just two weeks ago. I have started the first stage of reconstruction and will be starting physical therapy and radiation treatments soon. My children have been angelic. They know Mommy had bo bo's and they have been loving me so gently.

I have been blessed to have found an amazing group of breast cancer survivors and other women like myself that are young for support and just to sit back and enjoy each others company. My husband has gone through every step right by my side. When this is over he will be a Survivor too!

I have learned through this experience how loved and cared for I am. I have been amazed by the generosity and compassion from the people around me. Even people who had never been close to me have surprised me with support. So many new friendships have blossomed. I would never pick to have breast cancer and go through the treatment, but I have to say the experience has been a blessing in so many ways.

I am a better person than I was last year. I am a stronger person and I cherish every moment of life more tenderly. Life is a gift!!!! My pathology report from my surgery came back recently and told us that I had a complete response with the chemotherapy. The doctors tell me the cancer is gone and that we should likely not have to go through this again however there are no guarantees. I will continue with IV treatment for the remainder of the year with an antigen that is expected to reduce my chance of reoccurrence my 50%. I believe in my heart that this has been a bump in my wellness road. I have a zest for life and will continue to live life to its fullest. Thank you for reading my story. I hope it helps other women to know they are not alone and that there is HOPE! Live strong!!!!

Sanford, Maine

No comments: