Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Michelle's Story from Utah

My name is Michelle and I never thought I would have breast cancer. Like everyone else, I thought it would never happen to me but maybe to people I knew. I felt my lump in Nov. 2005 and went in for my mammogram like I should. It came back fine, which I thought meant it was a fibrous cyst. Then one year later, the lump changed and I went back for another mammogram. This time it showed there was something abnormal, so more testing was needed. This is when my life changed.

On March 26, 2007 I received the diagnosis that I had breast cancer! Wow, what a shock. I was lucky to have some very good doctors who wanted to do half the chemo treatments first so they could reduce the size of the tumor. This worked and in June we went in for a lumpectomy thinking we could get it all. We did not and on July 2 we went back in for a mastectomy. This time we were able to remove the entire tumor. I just finished my last chemo treatment on August 31 and will start radiation in October.

Cedar Fort, Utah

I have been very blessed through out all of this. I have a great husband who has been so supportive through all the doctor visits, surgeries and treatments. He would only allow me one chore a day while I underwent the chemo. He did not want me to get too tired as I am still working through all of this. We have learned so much about ourselves and life and what is really important and also how to help those around us. I feel very fortunate to have had this experience and all that we have learned and been blessed with. I could have done without the cancer and all that comes with it. Hopefully by Christmas we will be back on our feet and cancer free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your attitude is amazing. May God continue to bless you and your family. I am in awe with your Faith and your attitude. I also have Cancer, and it has taught me what life is really about. Be strong, and I will be praying for you.