Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Puala's Story

1. MY ORIGINAL DIAGNOSIS...Aug. 3, 2006, IDC, stage 2b, grade 3 of 3. Seven days later, I had a modified radical mast. 1-10 nodes were positive for cancer. I choose (through prayer) to utilized alternative "natural" medicine entirely for my treatment option! After series of CT and PET scans showing steady improvements, 11 months later in July, 2007 my oncologist at the Clearview Cancer Institute (CCI) in Huntsville, AL declared, "You're cancer free...you're definitely in [complete] remission". No recurrence since.

2. LIFE SINCE BREAST CANCER...has been an absolute educational thrill ride! As a matter of fact, I (& my hubby) have rolled up our sleeves and presented our first Annual Breast Cancer Conference at the holiday Inn in Huntsville, AL - 40 attending - just 61 days after my surgery! Currently, were planning our 3rd Annual Breast Cancer Conference this October. In addition, I have presented a cooking class for the oncology nurses at CCI educating them on food preparation for those going through chemotherapy. Furthermore, I volunteer at the CCI, assisting and comforting those going through chemotherapy. Too, I'm a member of two cancer support groups. Yes, my life has truly been different by the many blessings I have received when I share my story, time and experience to others as a breast cancer "conquerer"!

3. SIGNIFICANT LESSON LEARNED... To trust God completely in every decision that needs to be made. If He [God] will bring you to it, He will take you through it!

4. AS A NATIONAL SPOKESPERSON ALREADY... educating breast cancer awareness and delivering my story currently in over 17 cities, my message is

a) HAVE BREAST EXAMS: particularly self exams. The majority of breast cancers are found by the person themselves! And, for younger (dense) breasts, I emphasize having "digital" mammograms if available. In addition, not to neglect "clinical" breast exams.

b) BE PROACTIVE: When diagnose, take someone with you to the surgeon/onc. appointments to take notes. Ask for all pathology reports and tests and, seek knowledge to be able to understand them. Jot down any questions before appt. Contact the American Cancer Society (ACS) to find any vibrant, active support groups in your area.

c) SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE: Seek divine wisdom for all decision making. A calm peace will simply embrace you. Immerse one self with uplifting music, positive people - and stand back and breathe! Breast cancer is not a death sentence!

No comments: