Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Amanda's Story

Like most 25 year-olds, Breast Cancer was the last thing I ever thought I would have to worry about at 25. For starters, I was 25 and in fairly good health. I have never heard of anyone getting breast cancer in their 20's. I always heard that breast cancer was something that women who turned 40 should start screening for it. Imagine my surprise when I was told that I have breast cancer-- much less a rare form of breast cancer called Inflammatory Breast Cancer.

Since getting diagnosis on August 15, 2007 with Stage 3B Breast Cancer, I have been undergoing treatment to combat this aggressive cancer. I've gone through the perils of chemotherapy with the hair loss and the new body image adjustment that I have to undergo because of the bilateral mastectomy. Lastly, the very visible skin burns on my neck and chest due to the 35 radiation treatments. Going through this treatment regiment has been one of the toughest things I have ever done.

Now at 26 and done with treatment, I am just waiting to see if the treatment regiment worked. Cancer-free are words that I will be longing to hear, but unfortunately I was told by one of my doctors that the term Cancer-free isn’t used until it has been five years without recurrence. So, my countdown towards Cancer-free started on May 1, 2008….so hopefully I’ll hear the words in 2013.

Being diagnosed with Breast Cancer has been a life changing event. Not only did it make me realize my own mortality, it gave me a new outlook on life. Everyone knows that one day they will die, but like most people I figured that would be when I am old and gray. I never in a million years would have thought that I would be dealing with a cancer diagnosis. The things that I was too scared to do suddenly were less scary, and I have started to take charge of my life. Having cancer has made me realized how short life can be, and I must live each day to the fullest cause I will never know when it will be my last.

In an effort to help raise awareness and money, I have decided to registered a team to take part in the Breast Cancer 3-Day in Dallas, Texas on November 7-9, 2008. To be a part of the Breast Cancer 3-Day, each of my team members must raise a minimum of $2,200. The 3-Day is a 60-mile walk over the course of three days where the net proceeds benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure and National Philanthropic Trust, funding important breast cancer research, education, screening, and treatment.

Breast cancer is something that no one should ever have to go through, and by participating in this walk I hope to get one step closer to help find a cure. Until that day comes, I will walk. I walk for myself, fellow survivors, and for all who have lost their battle with breast cancer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amanda, God bless you. Keep your faith. I was diagnosed with breast cancer May of 06 and lost both breast. I went for my very first check up and was shocked to learn I had breast cancer at 42. You will do fine.