Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cathy's Story

My name is Cathy, I am 44 years old, a wife, and a mother to a daughter who is 10 and a son who is 8. I am in my second year of being a breast cancer survivor. Although I must admit the past two years have been more than I thought I could handle at times.

A visit to the Doctor for my first mammogram in May of 2006 would changed my life. On May 15th I was told I had breast cancer in my left breast and would need more test. I was scheduled for a MRI that would light up my breast to see just where the cancer was. My test picked up a spot in my right breast as well.

So my battle begins. I was scheduled for a bi-lateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. After learning I had positive lymph nodes removed from my right side I was scheduled for 8 rounds of chemotherapy to start no later than six weeks after my surgery. I developed an infection in my left breast and was taken back in to surgery to hopefully cure the infection. (This would be the first of 12 surgeries I would endure in a 20 month period.) After my chemo started I was very sick most of the time. My infection did not heal due to my immune system. I was in and out of the hospital every couple of months due to my infection. I found myself feeling bad more days than good. After my second treatment of chemo I started losing my hair. I was very self-conscious about my hair loss and did not want to leave my house.

I just had my 12th surgery on March 25, 2008. My Doctor decided to remove all the tissue from my left breast and put in an implant. So far it has healed well and I've had no sign of infection. I will go back in the hospital around July of this year to have a few revisions, and hopefully I will stay out of the operating room for a very long time. Before my diagnosis I had lost my wonderful Mother to lung cancer and learned my Mother-in-Law had non-hodgkins lymphoma. Sadly my Mother-in-Law lost her battle in November 2007. During this time of my life I have lost my home, my husband and I lost our cars. My husband lost his job due to the fact I only had him to care for me and take care of our children. I've lost what it felt like to feel good anymore. After 12 surgeries, neuropathy and lymphadenitis in my left arm, I rarely have a good day physically.

I ask myself more times than you can imagine how do I keep going with all I've been through. My answer is my faith in God keeps me strong. My incredible husband and two children who put up with me no matter what. Although we may have lost alot of material items, we have each other. For God to allow me to wake up every morning to the two beautiful smiling faces that greet me, I feel like I have all the love in the world.

UPDATE TO CATHY'S STORY

My name is Cathy. I am 44 and a 2 year breast cancer survivor. My battle begin in June 2006 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I underwent bilateral mastectomies with immediate reconstruction. Unfortunately, I developed multiple post operative complications including an infection in my left breast following my chemotherapy treatments To date I have had 12 surgeries, with my most resent on March 25 of this year. I will go through one more in July and I pray this will be the last.

I've had a lot of struggles during this 20 month period. I currently suffer from peripheral neuropathy, a painful condition of my lower extremities, which is thought to be a result of chemotherapy. I also have upper extremity lymphedema which occured after my breast surgeries. I have been on an oral anit-estrogen agent since January 2007 I experience side effects from this medication which include bone pain, fatigue and an increased risk of osteoporosis.

Financially I've lost my home, our cars, and the ability I had before to obtain credit. We are currently in a rental home and drive cars that were given to us by friends. My goal from the minute I learned I had cancer was to survive. I have a husband who believes there's nothing I can't handle. Although, I sometimes have to disagree. I have two remarkable kids, a daughter (11) and a son (8) whose faith in me just takes my breath away. These two children have already been through so many emotions at such young ages. They lost both of their Grandmothers to cancer. My Mom in September of 05, and their Dad's Mom in November of 07.

If I've learned anything during this oh so difficult time I've been through, is to never give up on your faith or yourself. Believe in the power of prayer and the healing hands of God.

No comments: