Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Friend Sue's Story from New Jersey

My friend Sue is a perfect example of how this disease comes out of nowhere and changes your life forever. She is a mother of twin boys age 10. She has always been the caregiver to her parents and sisters. It was very difficult for her to accept help from anyone but she had no choice.

Sue was diagnosed in April and was told after her biopsy to start chemotherapy immediately. She had a fractured shoulder that she was not aware of. It was a blessing in disguise because originally she thought it was a sure sign that the cancer had spread. The Doctor said they would work on that problem after her mastectomy.

During her eight weeks of chemo, her mother had really stepped up and put her illnesses aside to support her daughter. Everyone was so amazed, but she died suddenly in May. I really felt it was too much for one family. I kept asking myself, 'what is the lesson that should be learned from this?

After loosing her hair and having her double mastectomy, she will now have nine weeks of radiation. Even in the midst of all this news, she still feels blessed. She has truly taught me what it means to have faith and strength. I don't know if I have it in me to be that strong.

I told her that now every time I see a woman who has lost her hair and is waiting for her kids to get off the bus, or is at the grocery store doing ordinary things, I think to myself: "THERE IS A SUPER WOMAN!" I am in awe of women who battles through this disease and are still supportive spouses and loving mothers. God bless every single one of you.


Stewarsville, New Jersey

1 comment:

non profit bean counter said...

Super Woman!

I only discovered this blog about Susan today. I heard of her mother's passing just recently.

I am not the least bit surprised by her courage and strength. I knew Susan as a young woman in high school/college. She displayed the qualities you describe even back then.

Susan, please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope you are recovering well and that your back in good health ASAP.

Regards and best wishes for a full recovery,
Stephen J. Zulli